Thursday, September 20, 2007

NEW LEASE ON LIFE


Brought Jon home yesterday. So many, many have welcomed him home after his long battle the last 3 weeks in Mexico. When Jon went to Mexico for treatment, we were fearful he was too far advanced for anything to be of much help. He has come so far but it will still be an uphill battle for quite some time.

Dr. Bradford was so encouraged by the progress Jon has made. He stated that only 50% of the cancer patients respond to treatment as well as Jon did. That's a miracle for us! He was so impressed he wanted to take a CT scan there before sending Jon home. On our price list, that was a $400 fee and Jon told the doctor he would get one here at Kaiser upon his return. But the doctor said, "This one is on me." :)

Dr. Rodriguz came running down the hall, "Jon! Jon! You've got to come and see. Hurry and come." Jon said calmly, "As soon as I finish my lunch." Dr. Rodriguz says, "Oh, you can finish that later," as she grabbed his drip pole heading out the door.

The success of the hyperthermia treatment was literally evident in black and white, and Jon has shared the x-rays with me here at home. We compared the CT scan taken on July 16 next to the one taken Tuesday, August 18. How amazing! Many of the tumors were so large on July 16 it was easy to compare tumor for tumor on each film. There was an obvious 50% decrease in size and they didn't look too healthy, meaning not nice and round! We have been told that the complete affect of the treatments will not be for another 6-8 weeks as the tumors continue to shrink and die. So not only is his whole body a health and nutrition fighting factory, his tumors have been reduced by half. How amazing is that! What blessings we have received through Priesthood power! Thank you for your faith and prayers in Jon's behalf.

Dr. Bradford wanted to have Jon back in one month for just a few days. He will be put on IV for some very specific boosters to help in his fight. In the meantime, I am learning how to cook with real food. I actually spent an hour at Trader Joe's yesterday and will become very familiar with the food there, I'm sure. I am becoming expert at nutrition labels.

Today . . . what is Jon up to . . . pool service as usual. We have had wonderful help with the routes and Val Toland's son has been taking care of our commercial accounts. But Jon is looking into a few problems I couldn't handle on my own on his first day home. In fact, he couldn't wait to get his hands working again! He loves being home with his own bed and home atmosphere and smells, different from a hospital room!

4 comments:

The Ross Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Ross Family said...

It is so amazing to hear the results. I try to share them and i just do not feel that people get the real impact of what a true miralce this is. If we had stayed on the Chemo track dad would have been gone in a year. But just as the lord promised his life would not be cut short. It is an amazing experience that has changed our family's life forever. I can not wait to see you this weekend. You just can't seem to get rid of me. I love you both so, so much and look forward for all the visits in the many, many years to come!!
PS, The deleted one is me, i spelled something wrong and it was bugging me. Cory is laughing that i had to delete and fix it. Oh well. That is me, Mrs. Perfectionist.

Anonymous said...

Dear Dianna: Thanks for adding the woman's touch with all the intricate and interesting details. We are so greatful that you have him home now. Good photo in front of the garage! Your transformation as to cooking will be very interesting. God bless you both.

Old DAD

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this incredible journey. I am with you - my heart is with you - my prayers are with you. I too am so grateful you were guided to this treatment. After watching a dear close friend of mine go through chemo several years ago adn then pass away, I had made a sort of vow that I would never go through chemo. I was terrified to hear that you were going to begin chemo. It is so absolutely wonderful that God guided you to Mexico. He loves you and Di and knows you are His choice and special son with much to still do in this life. Happy 30th! Here's to new hair! I love you all.
Cousin Beck